Thursday, October 6, 2011

Here am I.... send me!

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

This has always been to me, the most frightening of verses... Here am I, send me? But what about my job my family? I always was worried that as soon as I said this, God would send me somewhere far away, with snakes and spiders galore. Well I suppose so far he has sent me to be worship leader at MMCC... where we do have our share of snakes, but that is aside from the point. I have frequently heard God's call to action, and have reacted in various and some, quite despicable ways. Reading through the bible I see a large variety in how the prophets responded to God, often very similarly to what I have personally done as well. Which one is closer to our response? Which one would we like to have be our response?


First I would like to examine Jonah... God called him to go to Nineveh, called him to tell the people(who clearly were bad people) to repent, or be destroyed. What was Jonah's response? "Here am I, I'm not going"

Jonah 1: 1-3  1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai saying, 2 “Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me.” 3 But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD. So he went down to Joppa, found a ship which was going to Tarshish, paid the fare and went down into it to go with them to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD. 

God called him to a work - Preach against Nineveh, but his reaction showed lack of faith (in God) & love (for souls), cf. Jonah 4:1-5. For myself personally, most often this response is out of fear. Often like Jonah - I will be running from spiritual obligations, believing I have good reasons which clear me from responsibility.


The next biblical person I would like to have us look at is Moses. “Here am I, send Aaron”  Exodus 3:11-4:17
  Moses knew the need which existed, he just couldn’t see himself being used by God to meet the need. He offered multiple excuses aimed at removing himself from God’s consideration as deliverer of Israel. He was hoping that God would change his mind. I often rationalize why I am not best suited for some spiritual work - That surely God could find someone other than me, and better than me, to do what needs to be done? 

The last person would be Isaiah how did he react when God called him? 
Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah was overwhelmed with God's majesty, was stricken by the sin of the people, and was eager and willing to go wherever God sent him, to say whatever God told him.

What is our reaction when God calls us?

Ephesians 4:1-4

 1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, 2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, 3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling

We have all been called, if you are a Christian God is calling you, calling you to service, calling you to be holy because He is holy, To be the salt of the earth, a light in the world. Calling you to shine His light forth so others might see it and be saved. What is your answer today?


Until next time: The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord be gracious to you, make His face shine upon you and give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment